What are the tools in your talent management toolbox? Do your TM processes include a structured mentoring program? Is retention one of your challenges? Are you interested in structured, but informal learning? Worried about the reduced half-life of the organization’s knowledge base? If your answer is yes to any of these questions, a mentoring program in your TM toolkit will help?
I’ve personally experienced the power of both formal and informal mentoring relationships, and I know how much it can further the goal of talent development. Having advised and designed mentoring programs for non-profit organizations, participating in pro-bono small business mentoring initiatives; having a few mentor/ protege (mentee) relationships, I vouch for its tremendous benefits.
- A very cost-effective tool to develop talent
- Identify and nurture “young” leadership and build “Bench.”
- Promote retention
- Deliver a highly impactful “onboarding” experience that does not end with the orientation day!
- Harness organizational knowledge
- Facilitate cross-functional collaboration
- Exchange of expertise
- Facilitate structured informal learning opportunities
- Increase morale and build a community